I support NAMI in honor and memory of my mom. She pioneered family support and patient advocacy groups in Baltimore when my brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia many years ago. Her courage and willingness to share our story, pain and small successes helped our family and so many others move beyond the stigma that would have left each of us alone.
Please help to bring more patients and their families " out out of the the shadows"! NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans impacted by mental illness.
Organizations like One Mind are matching funding to best-in-class brain science to accelerate the pace of finding cures for the hundreds of millions struggling with these diseases. Their open, collaborative approach to research includes scientists, patients, clinicians and policy makers to uncover the paths forward for healthy brains for all. Please help.
Hike For Mental Health Inc
Almost 1 in 5 people have some form of mental illness - anxiety, depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia. Even if you're not in that 20%, I bet you've watched someone in your life struggle.
Here's the thing. If you get cancer or diabetes you share with others and as a result psychological and financial support pours in. Mental illness is different. Many don't view it as a "real" disease, but in fact, mentally ill patients typically have actual chemical or structural imbalances in their brain. So it's no surprise families and patients are scared they'll be ridiculed, appear weak, or even worse be blamed for not being able to just "get over it". As a result, patients and their families live in the shadows - getting very little support, understanding or kindness when they need it most!
Hike For Mental Health is dedicated to bringing mental illness out of the shadows so that it can receive the focus and funding to find a cure. This grass roots organization combines the incredible joy and peace that hiking provides, with the mission to raise funds to find cures for mental illnesses. Is there a better combination? Hike For Mental Health follows a simple model. They work with individuals to organize hikes throughout the US. Hikers are asked to customize a sponsorship page to request donations. 100% of the donations are shared with two charities. 80% goes to The Brain & Behavior Research Foundation funding 1,000's of scientists across the globe to discover breakthroughs to alleviate mental illnesses. The remaining 20% supports trail preservation so that we can all continue to enjoy the beauty around us.